Wednesday 6 July 2016

An Artificial Night / Seanan McGuire

4 out of 5 stars
October "Toby" Daye is a changeling-half human and half fae-and the only one who has earned knighthood. Now she must take on a nightmarish new challenge. Someone is stealing the children of the fae as well as mortal children, and all signs point to Blind Michael. Toby has no choice but to track the villain down-even when there are only three magical roads by which to reach Blind Michael's realm, home of the Wild Hunt-and no road may be taken more than once. If Toby cannot escape with the children, she will fall prey to the Wild Hunt and Blind Michael's inescapable power.

I’m not sure why I find this series so charming—I think it is because I absolutely adore the world of the Fae that McGuire has created here. I love how complex it is, how many kinds of fae entities exist in it, and learning the rules that govern it.

I’m hoping that the main character, Toby, improves over the arc of the series. I’m tired of her refusing to use a perfectly serviceable brain (although if she experiences too much more head trauma, I’m not sure that it will remain intact). I’m tired of her whining about how hard things are—use your head and figure things out. I’m tired of watching her push away all the people who want to help her. Just because you are a knight and a hero doesn’t mean that you can’t accept assistance from others, especially when there are powerful others who obviously care deeply about you. Hell, I find myself caring about her, despite all the things that drive me crazy.

I also hope that there will be more information on Toby’s mother, Amandine, at some point. There was a great big tease in this book, and I really want to know more details of the crazy fairy mother.

Once I pick up one of the October Daye series, I find I can’t set it down happily until I’m at the end and I then want the next book asap, please. So obviously, I will keep reading. I’m just trying to pace myself so that I don’t burn out on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment